Photo

Firefox 15 Private Browsing not working ?

Best Answer Claw , 07 September 2012 - 01:59 PM

Solved. I was told to update to FF 15.1, because of an "issue" with Private Browsing in FF 15. Look at the very first fix.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/15.0.1/releasenotes/ Go to the full post »

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,696 posts

I took the Private Browsing test in Firefox 15 because I was told of a problem that it didn't work. Guess what, ?? It didn't work. Here's how to check for yourself.

Open Firefox and clear all history , then type in , about :cache ,
make sure all is clear. Then go to Start Private Browsing.
Now go to a few websites, then go back to, about : cache, and see if it's clear.
Mine showed 8 visits, and when I clicked the list of cache, all the visited websites were there.

Seems like just as Mozilla takes control of one problem, they kick in with another. Hopefully this one will get immediate attention.

FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 974 posts
Claw, any idea if that could be a temporary cache that's only there in case you change your mind about the session being private or something? You would be able to say for sure if you close the browser after surfing a few websites, then reopen and check the history and the about :cache.

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,696 posts
Semi right there buddy. Here's what happens to me. If I stop Private Browsing and shut down FF, the tracks are there when I reopen FF, but if I just shut down FF while Private Browsing is still on the tracks are mostly gone when I reopen FF. I say mostly because I logged 129 tracks and 18 still were present, which I guess isn't that bad. This could be something to do with the users settings, maybe. My FF settings are all default so it may vary. What do you think, FS ??

FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 974 posts
Hey, Claw...I got no answer for that scenario. Shouldn't they all be gone if it's truly private?

Could be you're right about the settings in Firefox. Were the remaining tracks from a bookmarked location? If so, I guess Firefox could count those differently than other links, but that does go against the idea of private browsing. Yeah, that would still be a glitch in my mind I think...

Maybe it's some other quirky setting. Have you had a crack at asking on the Firefox board? Somebody there might know. Seems like a moderator should have run across that question before... :scratch_one-s_head:

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,696 posts
FS, the same dude that told me about taking the test just told me another site (not a freeware site) is reporting the same thing, and they have a suggestion for users to test it too. I put my question to the board, just waiting for a reply. They know me, lol, I asked questions before. And yes, 1 track was a bookmark, I made a bookmark button on the bookmark bar for ,,, FreewareBB.

FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 974 posts
I see. I thought maybe they all were bookmarks...

Makes you wonder what the programmers are eating a little bit sometimes these types of problems. Couldn't have been the toughest script to write of the program, but that is probably a pretty important feature for some users who connect for business discretely, etc...

Maybe the Firefox board will come through with an answer...

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,696 posts
Solved. I was told to update to FF 15.1, because of an "issue" with Private Browsing in FF 15. Look at the very first fix.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/15.0.1/releasenotes/

jayesstee

jayesstee

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 252 posts

To be pendantic, it's actually FF 15.0.1. As my old Dad would have said: "Same difference!"

Those who will not reason are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not are slaves.

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,696 posts
FF 15.0.1, happy now jay ?? LOL. :lol:

jayesstee

jayesstee

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 252 posts

FF 15.0.1, happy now jay ?? LOL. :lol:

Yup, but I was happy before.

I did say say I was being pendantic, I meant 'pedantic' - never did get the hang of those long words. :gamer:

BTW going on past FF update experience, FF 15.1 would be one hell of an update!

Those who will not reason are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not are slaves.