Photo

Free Antivirus

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

JoninOz

JoninOz

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 429 posts
Claw, could he afford a USB stick, Avast and others are available with the function, memory use is approx. 5 MB but I tend towards Jim's suggestion of Panda.

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,696 posts
I 'm trying Panda right now so I can let him know just what to expect, but I think this is the one. Seems really simple and easy, so I think he'll have no problems.

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,696 posts
Update. He decided to go with Immunet. Any thoughts. Good choice ?? Bad choice ??
He also wanted to know if Avira personal works on low end PCs.

Guest_James (Jim) Hillier_*

• Guests
Hey Claw - Immunet is not really meant to be used as a stand-alone AV. It's light on resources and light on protection because it's really supposed to be used to augment existing full blown AV... as well as rather than instead of.

It really all depends on what is the most important consideration for your friend, and how he uses the internet. If he is more concerned about AV software being light on resources than optimum protection and tends to adopt a fairly cautious approach to online activities, Immunet would suit nicely.

If, on the other hand he is seeking optimum protection, and/or tends to live a little on the risky side where online activities are concerned... no, Immunet would not be suitable.

I don't believe Avira is any less or any more resource hungry than the other top AVs. The problem is that with his limited memory resources, he is going to experience difficulties running any AV which offers optimum protection.

His main choices as I see it, apart form upgrading RAM of course, would be; good protection and comparatively light on resources with Panda. Good protection and reasonably light on resources with MSE. Or accepting the reduced level of protection afforded by something like Immunet in favor of not using so much of his valuable but limited RAM.

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,696 posts
I'm trying to sell him on the idea of upgrading the RAM, but he's a miser, Jim, lol. I tried the Panda and found it to be very and simple but I'm not in need of any, I'm using Comodo at the moment. Thanks buddy.

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,696 posts
Hey Jim, just want to let you know my buddy sends his thanks to you. I finally got him to switch to Panda, and it works great.

• Guests

Thanks for letting me know Claw, appreciated!