Photo

Beware of Kingsoft Antivirus

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,698 posts

I have just repaired 3 computers. Two were brought to me for having BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). Both users installed a free antivirus called,, Kingsoft Antivirus 2012. Kingsoft claims their AV is compatible with other antiviruses. Well these two users experienced BSOD just as the Kingsoft AV started its initial scan. Both said the screen went black, BSOD. After getting them in Safe Mode to remove the files, because Kingsoft would not uninstall, no matter how many times I tried.. Finally I cleaned the Kingsoft out and with a few adjustments the 2 PCs were up and working. One PC ran Avast Free and the other was running Comodo Antivirus.
Being one who needs to check and recheck things,, I installed the Kingsoft on my personal computer running, Microsoft Security Essentials All was fine until that first scan, black-out then BSOD. Again the Kingsoft would not uninstall, just a quick Command screen flashed on then off. I used the same options as I used on the other two, except I also needed to do a System Restore.

Compatibility

Perfectly Working with Other Antivirus, Provides Outstanding Protection to End User

Those are the words on the Kingsoft Antivirus homepage. http://www.kingsoftsecurity.com/

Please DO NOT use more than one antivirus on a computer, because these users and I, were lucky. It may not work out as good for you.

Bala7

Bala7

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 171 posts
If ever the Chinese were to stop plagiarizing, pirating and knocking-off Western technology they might build an economy within.
Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither liberty nor security. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Guest_James (Jim) Hillier_*

• Guests
In light of the recent Kingsoft Office debacle, I would say beware of anything from Kingsoft.

Mind you, from what you have described Claw, it sounds like the two anti-virus products had not been added to each other's lists of scanning exceptions/exclusions.So conflicts were pretty much inevitable.

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,698 posts
If it wouldn't be that one of their so-called selling points is that it runs perfectly along side your current antivirus, it wouldn't be a major problem. But everywhere I check, that is the main point, compatibility with other antivirus. No instruction other than install a let it run. Kingsoft was installed and the second it is installed, it runs a scan, all we had was seconds between "thank you for choose Kingsoft Antivirus, Run Kingsoft",,, and BSOD.

kslogan

kslogan

New Poster!

• Members
  • 2 posts
Hi Claw

I'm Logan from Kingsoft Security, sorry it gave you so much trouble.

We did many tests (working with other antivirus) before release and currently we haven't received any compatibility issues feedback with Avast Free Antivirus, Comodo Antivirus or MSE.

Can we pm you to get any further info to look into your case?

Thanks
Logan

kslogan

kslogan

New Poster!

• Members
  • 2 posts
Hi Jim,

Sorry I don't know what happened with Kingsoft Office since we are from different department, I can forward the complain to their team if you like.

Logan

In light of the recent Kingsoft Office debacle, I would say beware of anything from Kingsoft.

Mind you, from what you have described Claw, it sounds like the two anti-virus products had not been added to each other's lists of scanning exceptions/exclusions.So conflicts were pretty much inevitable.

• Guests

If it wouldn't be that one of their so-called selling points is that it runs perfectly along side your current antivirus, it wouldn't be a major problem. But everywhere I check, that is the main point, compatibility with other antivirus. No instruction other than install a let it run. Kingsoft was installed and the second it is installed, it runs a scan, all we had was seconds between "thank you for choose Kingsoft Antivirus, Run Kingsoft",,, and BSOD.

Fair enough Claw. If you didn't even have time to adjust any settings then there isn't really anything that could have been done to prevent the conflict. Strange behavior for the scan to just begin automatically. Most AVs will offer or suggest an immediate scan, which is common sense really, to help make sure the relationship kicks off from a clean position, but I don't recall any software where it is actually compulsory.

Kingsoft's statement on the home page regarding "perfect compatibility" flies in the face of conventional wisdom. Sure, different AVs can work side by side but that generally requires the user configuring BOTH AVs specifically to avoid conflicts... scan exclusions being one of the main areas.

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,698 posts
kslogan, sure pm me anytime, it just may take awhile before I get back to you. On the first case,,the AV just installed, and the interface appeared and before anything else happened, the screen blackened then BSOD.

Tallemu

Tallemu

Advanced Poster!

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey Claw,
A word about Kingsoft antivirus my had it on her laptop got rid of it with Revo Uninstaller Pro before it could do any damage and I agree with Jim leave Kingsoft software well alone there are others a bit dicy.

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,698 posts

Still having issues Tallemu, I noticed my Microsoft Security Essentials was stopped and when I attempted to restart it,, it told me there was and error and it had to be reinstalled. Well I tried 6 times to install it, one time leaving it "install" for 2 hours to be told there was and error and it wasn't installed. So I now get the chance told give Comodo Anti-Virus a test and he how it is.
On a side note: the rep at Kingsoft has really been a pleasure to deal with, he (they) seem honestly interested to find out what went wrong, without any of the "what did the user do wrong" finger pointing that other companies are so quick to do.