Photo

Police virus - scareware

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts

A friend of mine recently received a warning on their computer, supposedly from our local police force, explaining that she had done something wrong and the police had her details and would be visiting her at home unless she paid something like £70 within the next 7 days.

This was an obvious scareware tactic, as I explained even if she had done something wrong, nobody would ask for payment in this way, especially not the police!.

That was over a week ago, and she has still to get the laptop to me to look at but more stories are emerging regarding this new scareware and it would appear the virus is able to identify the user by IP address and show the appropriate police force badge.

Anyone receiving any message on screen asking for payment should consider the actions immediately before seeing the message - if the request for payment is out of the blue or not related in any way to what you are doing, consider it suspicious and scan your computer using your antivirus or anti-spyware program.
You can support FreewareBB and have adverts removed from your view by becoming a Verified Member!!

Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Forums
New Freeware on the site
Updated Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 974 posts
This reminds me of ransomware only 100 times worse. I bet the police don't like people doing this...

Found it too hard to believe there could be such a thing as ransomware first time I heard of it, so I did some research and read some stories, and there actually are apparently people who write a program that will hold your computer hostage for payment. I ran across one story of a guy whose attacker told him with the lock screen straight up that it was an attack and if he wanted his PC back he'd pay him 50 bucks. There was a text box for him to enter the key to unlock his computer, which he was told he would receive in his e-mail when he sent the money.

The discussion was on an anti-virus message board. The PC owner had to find someone to translate the screen for him, because it was in Russian. Thankfully, the virus was removed, and the guy was able to recover his PC...

Viruses, malware, spyware...it's all bad news...100% bad... :ireful: :negative:

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,696 posts
I will get an e-mail in my spam box now and then from the FBI, but I usually just delete them I NEVER open them, so I don't know what they contain.
Thanks marko, I'll spread the word.

JoninOz

JoninOz

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 429 posts

Thanks marko & FutureShock, knowing that 'we are not alone' in Oz.

Our local (Gold Coast) TV news had a Police report earlier this week, with a local victim showing a demand on his 'smart phone' which was in the vein of, "I have been offered $5000.00 to kill you, with more detail, etc, ". Naturally the guy was visibly upset and the rest of the report indicated that several people with similar incidents had contacted the police.
................................................//.............................................

From where I stand, I see that a lot more people should take it upon themselves to become fully aware of the 'Internet traps', and in the time spent in my small business assisting 'senior citizens' with simple computer operation, I discovered that no matter how much time they spent attending 'Computer Courses', after 8 weeks, none of them understood what the 'tech tech' was trying to teach them.....thanks for the money, folks!', was the idiom from the juvenile, IT 'smart-a***ses with a UNIVERSITY corn flakes degree sticker selling 'wonderment'!
...........................................//.......................................
ISP providers give implicit instructions relating to email passwords, a new or changed email account, secure passwords, and advice as reads, Do NOT forward personal or private details to ANYONE on the Internet unless the recipient is TRUSTED, and even the regulators are amazed at the stupidity of people who lock their homes, cars, sheds, mail boxes, wallets, bags, purses, yet 'sell their souls' to , "Oh well, he seemed to be so nice, he was going to make me rich"......syndrome.

I closed my service some time ago due to magnamonious frustration, and told my clients, and others, "Caveat Emptor"................
.......................................................//..................................................

I am prepared to help and assist anyone, but I will be damned if someone wants to hang me for it...... :dash2: :dash2:

Regards............
..................Jonno