Looking for a download site with no installers, spyware or misleading tactics?

Then look no further!.   Since 2007 we have been offering safe and family friendly downloads because like you, we were fed up of the misleading download links, installers, adware and other crap that most other download sites get up to.   Don't just take our word for it though, check out our reputation on WOT and judge us for yourself.

Photo

SurfCanister web protection software - free or not free?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts

***UPDATE - 28/06/2012***
Since we published this matter, the developer of SurfCanister contacted us and acknowledged the wording could be seen as confusing and has since updated their website and the wording which has went from "Download FREE Beta" to "Download Trial Beta". Thanks to the team at SurfCanister for making those changes and being responsible enough to become involved in the discussion - job done :)
============================================================

Despite various claims from this developers website of this product being "free", it would seem in fact that it's no more than a trial version.

Note the homepage claims (surfcanister.com) of "Download FREE Beta" ....

24-06-2012 14-33-53.png

.... or hit the download button and be told further "You could download FREE beta version of SurfCanister here" .....

24-06-2012 14-34-17.png

but then read a little further down that page and you'll see ....

Go to the Home Page. Enter your email id in 'Register New User' textbox.
Then Click on Register button.
Your account credentials and SurfCanister trial license key will be sent to registered email account
Enter your username and password to login to your account.
User can find product trial license key and download setup in it's ‘My Profile’ menu.
User could also find the product trial license key at registered email account.

This has all the hallmarks of foreign development, note the line "You could download FREE beta version of SurfCanister here", instead of better grammar such as "You can download the FREE beta version". But say it as you like, either it's free or it's not, but their own claims on their own website say it is, then contradict the claim by asking for a registration in return for a "trial" license key!.
You can support FreewareBB and have adverts removed from your view by becoming a Verified Member!!

Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Forums
New Freeware on the site
Updated Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,695 posts
A classic form of underhanded deception at work. Nice catch marko. :good:

Guest_James (Jim) Hillier_*

• Guests
My guess would be that this is a new startup. I believe what they are saying, rather clumsily, is that you can download and use the Beta version for free but only up until it is replaced by a final (commercial) release. Sort of a free Beta testing period.

This is becoming a pretty common practice these days, some developers even offer free licenses for the final release to those testers who offer the most useful feedback.

So yes, it definitely fits into the 'trial' model. Unfortunately, these people have not explained the concept very well at all, and what they have said is most misleading.

surfcanister2011

surfcanister2011

New Poster!

• Members
  • 2 posts
Hello Sir\Madam

According to your Question, "either it's free or it's not?" We are startup and we are in our beta phase. Hence for now we make our software freeware.When we launch our commercial version, then we make our software available for "Trial version".

Regards
Surfcanister Team

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts
The issue here is your statements are contradictory - you also submit software to freeware sites under the pretence of freeware, it isn't freeware, it's trialware. Thousands of developers do this and it causes responsible download sites like mine a massive headache trying to figure out which is real freeware and which is demo, trialware, shareware, etc. The man hours I spend trying to figure this nonsense out could be better spent elsewhere. Thanks for taking the time to respond here, but it would be better if developers stop submitting trialware as freeware in the first place, then you (or I) wouldn't be in this position in the first place.
You can support FreewareBB and have adverts removed from your view by becoming a Verified Member!!

Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Forums
New Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

• Guests

Hello Sir\Madam

According to your Question, "either it's free or it's not?" We are startup and we are in our beta phase. Hence for now we make our software freeware.When we launch our commercial version, then we make our software available for "Trial version".

Regards
Surfcanister Team

You must surely understand that "freeware" means free FOREVER - not just for a short period of time, until a certain event takes place.

The problem I have is that you do NOT make this situation completely clear. Why didn't you include the same information (as in your comment here) on your product page somewhere? By not being up front and entirely transparent, it gives the distinct impression that you are deliberately trying to mislead.

If the software is only available for free up until such times as the final commercial version is released, then why haven't you included that information on your site?

surfcanister2011

surfcanister2011

New Poster!

• Members
  • 2 posts
Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

We will make it a trialware while submitting here onward. We were thinking to give it FREE to school and college students so this confusion but we have not decided yet.

Thanks,
SurfCanister Team.

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts
I've included an update on the first post of this thread to show that the team at SurfCanister have since amended their wording on the website to show the word "trial" in place of the word "free" which, for me, shows great responsiveness from the developers and is testament to our aim :)
Thanks to all concerned
Marko

Forums
New Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

• Guests

Yep, hats off to the SurfCanister team. And to you also Marko.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users