Yahoo Axis: New search alternative

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

Guest_James (Jim) Hillier_*

• Guests

To paraphrase the famous quotation from Mark Twain - it appears the reports of Yahoo’s passing have been greatly exaggerated. Yes folks, Yahoo is back! With a nice innovation which I’m sure they’ll be hoping can make some inroads into Google’s seemingly impervious domination in the search engine arena.

The name of this innovation is “Axis” and the primary aim is to do away with the multitude of search result pages generated by a traditional approach and, hopefully, take you more directly to the link you need.

Axis is available as a free browser app for iOS devices, and installs as a plug-in for popular PC-based browsers. Reports also suggest that an Android version is due to be released later this year.

Installing Axis as an add-on in Firefox places an unobtrusive search bar at bottom left of the browser:
Axis 1.png
Hover the mouse cursor over the bar and it expands across the page, providing access to additional options. Type in a search term and a series of scrollable preview windows appears, simply click on whichever is most relevant:
Axis_FreewareBB.jpg
Axis also offers several useful features; such as storing bookmarks online so they’re automatically synced across all devices. You can also leave a web page on one device and pick up where you left off on another. Plus, Axis gives you the ability to assemble and maintain your own personalized home page including links to all your favorite pages/sites.

Here’s a video from Yahoo which helps explain Axis:
http://youtu.be/ZDo0PiwgtoM
Axis is overall pretty impressive. It’s simple to install and just as easy to use. Whether or not it provides enough to make any significant impact on Google’s dominance remains to be seen. There’s no doubt that Axis’s primary target is the mobile device contingent, it’s simplicity and use of swipe gestures is particularly suited to tablets. I don’t own a tablet myself and I wonder how well (or clearly) the previews display on smaller screens. I can also see no reason why Axis couldn’t be installed just on the desktop and utilized along with Google search – as well as rather than instead of.

Axis Home Page.

FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 969 posts
Somebody got through an entire preview video without mentioning FACEBOOK. I guess Yahoo! still has a little self respect left considering Yahoo! itself is a social site...

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,685 posts
You just used the F word (Facebook) FS !!!! The way I hear it you need IE 9 or higher to get Yahoo Axis.

FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 969 posts
I did didn't I. Practically ruined the thread before it hardly got started sorry to say. Good thing it's one of Jim's...

Yahoo! used to have a cool browser of their own way back. I kept the installer for a long time. Not sure what happened to it. That was back in the days when they had free auctions. I don't know why they don't bring that browser back. If anyone should be totally proprietary with things it should be Yahoo! not FB...

You know I think it's the proprietary messaging systems all over the place that are the big hold up for Yahoo! and some of the other sites. I'm a big proponent of universal messaging that could used by all the messaging systems (MSN, Yahoo!, heck even FBB could be on that type of system)...

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,685 posts
Hey I agree there FS, universal would be nice, but I think no one wants to split the pie, if you know what I mean. I don't know if this counts ,,, but you did say "FB" in your last post. LOL.

FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 969 posts
Might as well have said Windows 8 now that you mention it, Claw...

• Guests

The way I hear it you need IE 9 or higher to get Yahoo Axis

Wrong!! Did you miss the bit where I mentioned installing Axis in Firefox Claw, and that's where the screenshots come from also. :)

Bala7

Bala7

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 171 posts

... it appears the reports of Yahoo’s passing have been greatly exaggerated

It was only a year ago MS attempted to purchase Yahoo but the price was too steep. Meanwhile, Yahoo's underlying search engine is now MS Bing, a fine engine few use. Possibly Axis may change Yahoo's fortunes yet I see a flaw on hand-held devices.

Pre-fetching or pre-rendering search pages while you type could turn out to be costly for those on limited data plans.
Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither liberty nor security. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,685 posts
I know about FF Jim, I paid attention, lol. I was just stating that IE 9 is the Internet Explorer version you need for Axis. Listen buddy, I listen when JIM speaks. :good:

jayesstee

jayesstee

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 251 posts

Hey I agree there FS, universal would be nice, but I think no one wants to split the pie, if you know what I mean. I don't know if this counts ,,, but you did say "FB" in your last post. LOL.

Might as well have said Windows 8 now that you mention it, Claw...

Quit swearing you guys!

Those who will not reason are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not are slaves.