Photo

Microsoft deny other browsers access to Windows 8?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

Bala7

Bala7

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 171 posts

... The games are lame and the apps are basically just copies of each other with very little creativity in them ...

for gaming ... supergamer.org and Ultimate Edition linux and LinuX and Sabayon gaming.

everyday use with eyecandy: Sabayon Linux and Ultimate Edition linux.

for office use: openSUSE and Mandriva Linux.

full audio, video production for free: AV Linux and Dream Studio

for absolute security: any BSD distro.

super-easy to use linux for everyday use: SimplyMEPIS and PCLinuxOS.

Windows XP clone linux: http://www.ylmf.org/en/index.html

and finally, can your Windows or Apple box do this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69bKvvDV7a0&feature=related

almost forgot: Opera, Firefox and Chrome are all available on the Linux platform.
Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither liberty nor security. ~ Benjamin Franklin

FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 973 posts
Morning gentlemen (well here anyway)...

marko, Mr. Chairman...I appreciate your ability to communicate ideas. I agree with you, just wish I could say it as well. Thanks for the comments on distros. I would have to admit I would go with anything free or otherwise that had what I am looking for. Hope I can find one that has it all somewhere down the line.

Claw...good AM bud. I looked into the Longhorn thing when I saw your last post. I didn't read much about it, but sounds like it was to have something to do with Vista. IDK but I'm with you on seeing what they came up with. Need to read some more. You're right Claw...please MS, just release the OS. Let's get the party started already...

Bala...great comment. Before I downloaded Mint, I took a look around. I didn't want to commit the resources to the program until I was sure it would be something I'd like to have around all things considered. The video you posted was ironically one that I saw on YouTube. I was blown away...I admit it.

Yeah, I just have XP. That Linux setup is very tempting. The only things that keep me from making the change are 1. The unknown. How hard is this setup to duplicate? The idea of setting everything up in a new environment seems like a big hurdle right now for me. 2. Compatibility concerns. Can I install and operate MS Office 2007 on the machine? I'm, stuck with MS Office until LibreOffice is up and running with macros. Also, I keep around 10+ games that keep me sane when I get stuck with something. I would seriously lose it if I couldn't open a game from time to time.

If your version of Linux is anything like the one in that video, I envy you! Just don't have the initiative to go through that process when this machine does all the important things for me, even with XP, as the one in the video does.

IDK, just seems like there is a cohesiveness missing in OSs for me right now. Seriously, Linux looks like it's closer than MS. 8 really scares me for MS. It's a nice interface, but it's not the features I want, and from what I have been seeing it's really only an improvement for small screen touch machines. Well, that won't ever be me, so...

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,691 posts
Hey FS, I do know one thing, Longhorn 2002 and Vista are not the same thing. In 2004 MS scaled down and removed a lot from Longhorn to rush release the next OS - Vista. If Longhorn was left alone, Vista would have never reached the public.

Bala7

Bala7

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 171 posts

I resent that remark. I am a transgender multithreaded, multicore, multifaceted hermaphrodite. :man_in_love:
Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither liberty nor security. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,691 posts
Uh, ok,,,I'll take the gentlemen comment, I'm just a dude, but I've never been called a gentleman.
Guys, I think this is getting a little off topic, don't you think ??

James Van Damme

James Van Damme

Gold Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 54 posts

Hey James...OK, but don't you have a much higher end upside with Windows? For me, it's not about saving money...it's about getting my money's worth.... I want a full fledged multi-media machine.

It's about freedom: "free as in beer, free as in speech". You can pick between a half dozen basic underlying OS's, then pick between another half dozen main desktops, then pick a distro that uses them, then add in whatever suits your requirements. You can run it as it comes, or customize to suit.

I run Linux Mint with Cinnamon mostly, because I need the menu system; can't remember what the apps are called half the time, but when I see a list I can pick 'em out. Like XP, but fancier than the LXDE desktop. And I played with the Compiz effects, but got over that. If you want multimedia, try Mythbuntu. But most distros let you install whatever you want and get the same thing, you just don't get the whole lot on one DVD. If you go to distrowatch.com and click search, there's a selector where you can choose between uses, desktops, computer power, and other requirements, and it will sort through the 300 distros.

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,691 posts
Thanks for the information James, I'm sure a lot of users didn't know that.
Back to the topic, in my opinion I feel MS will have to allow other browsers on Windows 8 or risk losing all the current users of Firefox, Chrome, Palemoon, Opera etc, etc. IE 10 may be an improvement over the past versions, but with all the browsers out there to choose from, and all the ones that have become your browser of choice, MS will have to relent sooner or later. Imo.

FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 973 posts

I am red faced :blush:. Did I just call myself a "gentleman". Well, I really meant you guys...anyway...

James, you cleared up something for me. The distro is the OS package not the OS itself. I had been trying to understand distros, but when I searched I didn't find the answer I was looking for. Now I see, thanks for that...

Scarin' me more for MS. I didn't have any shred of an idea there are 300 distros. I guess it would take a good bit of research to pick one, but Linux and Ubuntu are getting close to ruining Microsoft's parade at the top with all that. Another reason for me to be more confused about 8.

If MS went back to the DOS prompt and made a simple OS for the office that could be duplicated in the home version or laptop version, wouldn't they be setting themselves up to write tons of specific programs for happy companies down the road? I mean give me something light for home that has my office desktop as an icon in a particular place on the screen, then revamp the placement of things and add some things, especially programs, and I think MS would be in good shape. Set it up as the old Network Neighborhood and make it possible to have multiple office desktops in the one. Add to that links for MS Office, if it's on the machine, and/or make it possible to set up a small company using the interface, and seems to me everyone would be happy. Just a nice platform for separating business from the rest on the home machines and laptops.

For me the beginning of the troubles at MS goes all the way back to '95, but when they dropped Works and Money, I didn't know what to think. Oh well, I will continue to hope not for the sake of MS, but I guess we will get 8. They still have manpower there to accomplish things...just seem to be lacking brainpower. If they could only understand what it's like for me to say that about anyone. Brain power is not my specialty that's for sure... :dash2:

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,691 posts
You're just fine FS, I read your post and understand you, for years I've been dealing with MS and still don't understand them, lol. :scratch_one-s_head:

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts

Windows XP clone linux

As a former XP fanatic, I found that one particularly interesting Bala and decided to take a look .. it would seem however that the group responsible for YlmF are the same group which mass pirated Windows XP, the leader of which is serving a 4 year jail sentence. However, from the reviews I read online about YlmF, their distro is a fine one and one which could help XP users totally skip Vista/7 and 8 - question is though, would I trust a distro from these guys? .. alas I'm not sure I would but there is nothing to suggest there is anything untoward in the distro itself - definitely one for the virtual machine to play with me thinks :good:
You can support FreewareBB and have adverts removed from your view by becoming a Verified Member!!

Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Forums
New Freeware on the site
Updated Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here