Photo

Is Chrome getting faster?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts

Well, I've said it in the past and this time it's for keeps!.

The browser of my choice for a number of years now had always been Firefox. It was snappy, fast and always loaded the pages much quicker than it's nemesis, Internet Explorer.

The vast array of addons available also made it a much more attractive alternative to IE too, and together with the fact it was considered a safer browser than IE meant for those of us who tried FF, most loved it and stuck with it.

However, over the past year or so, I've tried out Chrome now and again and whilst it seemed obviously quicker, it wasn't quick enough to warrant me dumping my ole faithful FF. Oh no, I wasn't giving up on my friend that easily. Also, the addon support was pretty poor and for me, I can't operate properly without certain addons and so the decision to stick with FF was a particularly easy one in the past.

But recently, I gave Chrome another whirl. Was it just me or did it seem even faster than before?. I checked out the available extensions for Chrome and we now have a massive database of tools to cover every eventuality, even the tools I rely upon to carry out my day to day activities.

Hmmm, wonder if I should stick with Chrome for another while I thought ... so I did, and haven't looked back since.

The strange thing is, having used Chrome for a week or so now, I've came to realise just how SLOW Firefox actually was. I had thought about performing a couple of benchmarks against Chrome, FF and Internet Explorer, and even Maxthon, but I realise that my computer most probably isn't the best setup in the world to perform benchmarks as there is often too much going on to conclude reliable results so instead I'm using my own observations.

Chrome starts up in a flash, it takes literally something like 2 seconds from the minute I start the browser to load freewarebb fully - and that's from a cold start (i.e. after booting up the computer) - if I close Chrome down and then start it up again, it's just silly how fast it loads!. Firefox, on the other hand, hands around for a couple of seconds after it's started and then begins loading the site - in total, a wait time of around 4-5 seconds on a good day, from a cold start it's really anyone's guess when it will kick in!.

Even performing administrative tasks in Chrome is a breeze, compared to FF.

Browsing between pages is made much faster in Chrome, largely thanks to it's caching functions and in particular the fact it "pre-caches" DNS. This means whenever a page loads in Chrome, it looks at the links found within the page and cleverly grabs some of the DNS information needed from those links so when you actually click on them, the work has already been done and there is very little wait time for the browser to go figuring things out whilst you wait. We are literally only talking a matter of a second or so or even less for a browser to do something like this, but consider this scenario - you browse a web page ordinarily and you are about to click a link on that site or page, when you click that link you may have to wait for a DNS lookup if it takes you outside the domain you are already on. Normally, this is quite a fast process and you wouldn't really see any delay. But if you're computer is already doing something or you are downloading, uploading, or whatever else, then chances are the request for that other page could be held up whilst your browser fights for some resources. Using chrome, the caching facility has probably already taken care of looking up the info it needs and so when you click the link there is nothing to fight for, it simply loads the page because it already has the information it needs !!.

It is, admittedly, a little more involved and complicated than my explanation, and admittedly it doesn't always pan out the way it should, but since I've been using Chrome I've definitely increased my productivity considerably by not having wait for pages to load and especially when performing updates to our downloads the worst thing for me was waiting for the update to go through and just watching the timer tick along - with Chrome there is barely any waiting around now, I hit edit, make the changes and submit, boom! onto the next update.

Don't just take my word for it, give it a whirl yourself - it's not often I recommend a particular download, especially being from a corporate monster such as Google, but this browser has helped me in my daily routine - maybe it can do the same for you guys :)
You can support FreewareBB and have adverts removed from your view by becoming a Verified Member!!

Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Forums
New Freeware on the site
Updated Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

William

William

Web & Graphics Guru

• Administrators
  • 82 posts
I was the same, i switched to Firefox from IE and used it mostly for web development, the amount of addons for FF made life 100% easier. I switched over to chrome a while back and have never looked back. One of the features i find very handy is the bookmarks. If you have signed into your Google account, and you put bookmarks on your bookmark toolbar, if you log into another machine and log into your Google account on Chrome, all of your bookmarks are there. I find this extremely useful being a web developer and having loads of pages i need to keep for reference and resources. Easily one of the best, if not the best browser out there just now, although i would keep an eye on IE, i've used the latest version and it is pretty interesting to be honest.

15xmtkl.jpg

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts
I think there is a massive tendency to underestimate IE, I'm actually quite guilty of it myself - I noted a while ago that although Firefox was my browser choice, IE seemed to be improving considerably, and yes, it is continuing to do so. Thing is, with Microsoft, they haven't got to where they are just now by complacency - they know they have a fight on their hands with the likes of FF and particularly Chrome now but I don't believe the fight is over by a long shot; they will undoubtedly return at some point and quite possibly scare the living daylights out of firefox, and possibly begin to give Chrome a run for it's money too.

Browser wars are healthy as far as I'm concerned, because as they all climb for the top spot, the user is getting a better browser all the time :)
You can support FreewareBB and have adverts removed from your view by becoming a Verified Member!!

Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Forums
New Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

jayesstee

jayesstee

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 251 posts
Trouble is it's Google!

Those who will not reason are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not are slaves.

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,692 posts
Well, I'm using it now to do this and it does seem a little faster than FF. I was using Palemoon, which I found fast, but it does lack add-on usage. I'll keep testing.

FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 973 posts
Using Opera. I am hoping I can grow with this browser as time goes on. There are some little quirks with a social site I use called SodaHead. Sometimes when I add pictures to a post, they don't show up in IE browsers of other users. I have no idea why, because when I edit the post and readd the picture using IE, it shows up for them. Anyway, so I use IE for that site. No big deal. Otherwise, I am comfortable with where Opera is going. They aren't rushing the project, but the upgrades are on a smooth curve for me. Also, they have always seemed to address a problem before it became an intolerable situation for me like with video, etc.

I don't need alot of add-ons, but there are a significant number of features that seem very good with Opera. I can, for example, open a chat room at freenode from a side bar, and from the left border start unite, open bookmarks and notes, widgets, etc. I guess unite is like the Google setup using an Opera mail account and with file sharing capablities. There is also Opera Link which like Chrome gives me the ability to use my bookmarks on any machine. I understand the value of these, but they aren't important to me personally.

Seems like a good browser to grow with for me for now...

jjj

jjj

Gold Poster!

• Members
  • 89 posts
Just some quick points I've noticed in using Chrome for a while --
- add-ons often do not survive the version changes in Chrome unless the developer updates as well.
- most sites work with Chrome, however my Banking site has frequent session expired problems - back to IE
- when I tried to give Opera another go (V 11) there was a noticeable lag in loading sites - disconcerting enough to return to Chrome.
---- Other hints are -
save the location of the cache, handy if you want to save any songs, pdf files etc - just change the extension.
I edit down to the icon in the bookmark bar - fits about 40 across- our 3 yr old has no worries

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts

Just some quick points I've noticed in using Chrome for a while --

Great responses guys (jjj, have you checked your PM's recently?) :)

Forums
New Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,692 posts
Seriously marko, I've been testing Chrome against Palemoon, and on my pc it really is close. Chrome by maybe a second or two. Has anyone else checked out Palemoon ?? I'd really like to know your findings. :good:

caduser

caduser

Advanced Poster!

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Marko,

I have an issue with the necessity to reinstall LastPass when Tinfoil updates, so I will continue using FireFox for most of my browsing.