Photo

Looks like the hackers are taking a bite from the apple

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts

More than half a million apple computers are thought to have been infected by the "flashback trojan", a particularly nasty virus which potentially can control a victim's machine.

I take no pleasure in the fact mac's are falling foul to virus makers, but it does reiterate what many people have said over the years regarding non MS operating systems - and that's simply that they will be next.

When mac and linux users claim their operating systems can't be hacked or contract viruses it almost makes me cringe every time I hear it - it's true to say that it's unusual to hear of macs or linux being targeted, but it isn't because the OS is so secure, it's just no-one has bothered to start developing viruses or malware yet for those operating systems!!. It's entirely possible to create the same level of destruction for mac and linux users, but the roots of viruses can often go back to the days where people wrote these things in protest of the "machine" that is Microsoft, whereas mac and linux were seen as outsiders, having relatively insignificant numbers of users, but that's changing and so are the tactics of the virus writers.

I hardly think we're about to see an explosion of viruses against mac's or linux but the potential has always been there and instead of asking myself are the virus writers ready to take on mac or linux I find myself asking is linux or mac ready to defend itself against virus writers?. Unfortunately, I think no, they may not be ready, and if someone does decide to unleash a whole load of woop-ass on mac or linux they could find themselves in serious trouble. MS have had years to develop and plan against viruses as they are often targeted on a daily, or even hourly, basis, whereas mac and linux haven't had anywhere near the level of exposure to the issue. Does this mean they have became complacent?. Possibly not, but I wouldn't want to be the one who has to deal with a tyrant of viruses specifically developed and targeted at mac or linux !! :crazy:
You can support FreewareBB and have adverts removed from your view by becoming a Verified Member!!

Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Forums
New Freeware on the site
Updated Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,699 posts
Now adays everything from countries to schools are vunerable to all means of attacks. I in my opion is foolish to have ever thought that Mac and or linux would or could be immune to any type of attacks against its security. Viruses and Malware or purposely written to hurt,,disable,,or just sometimes to please and entertain the sadistic warped minds of the virus/malware writers. No there is not any OS or system or company completely or even half way safe from these lunatics.

Bala7

Bala7

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 171 posts
To add a small note to this discussion ... smug Apple users have always been susceptible to Adware and Spyware through Safari just like IE users.
Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither liberty nor security. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Guest_James (Jim) Hillier_*

• Guests
Strangely enough Marko, most of the discussions I have seen relating to this issue have ultimately transformed into a Windows versus Mac debate - although, on second thoughts, perhaps not so strange.

The instigators have definitely been the Mac supporters who insist on defending their beloved Macs by attacking MS and Windows - a totally childish and non-productive reaction (IMO). I fail to understand why they cannot just accept the fact that Macs are not impervious, and why all people, regardless of preferences, cannot simply respect each others choices.

It's a total waste of time trying to argue the point, opinions are entirely subjective - as with movies and books, it's horses for courses. I would never consider a Mac but not because I believe they are unworthy, they are undoubtedly fine machines. I simply refuse to be locked into the proprietary Apple eco-system - for me it is all about variety and freedom of choice.

Instead of bashing Windows, Mac users should be proud of the fact they are being targeted, it indicates they have now become somewhat relevant. :)

Cheers... Jim

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,699 posts
You're on the money there Jim, like kids with their,,mine's better than yours. When somethingf really is better,,you don't have to tell anyone ,,they find out soon enough.

• Guests
Well said Claw!!

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,699 posts
Everything always falls into place,,even for the rich. You know what they say,,"I have all the friends that money can buy" !!!!
No company is safe as long as alot of those companies are "actually giving hackers the means to perform their dirty deeds."

Bala7

Bala7

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 171 posts
Security guru Steve Gibson (USA) gives a detailed discussion on "flashback trojan." MP3 audio file.

Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither liberty nor security. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,699 posts

All in all,,if it gets the internet, it can get a virus,trojan ,or both. The malware writers never sleep. They dedicate their every being to bring down the companies they target. Good security is all you can have and that most of the times this is not enough. Common sense and always being abreast of what is going on in the computer world , could be our only defense. You "can't" be just an average user anymore,,you need to look into and learn what is out there ,,or else,,no matter what system you use,,,you will become a "victim" sooner or later.