Photo

Bootable Flash drive possible?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

Bob

Bob

Advanced Member!

• Verified Member
  • 45 posts
Ok, I've downloaded Macrium Reflect and will make a disk image with it. Next, do I just put the image on the new drive and replace my existing hard drive with the new one? or is there more to it than that?

When it gets to the blank screen, there is not a sound made, even though I have left the cursor blinking for a half hour. I thought that it might have been hung up but it wasn't. If I turn everything off for 5 minutes, it will then boot normally.

Thanks to you guys for all the time you have taken to educate me. It's sure appreciated. Bob.

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts
Bob, not having a secondary drive I can't really be sure of the exact process and I'm not sure of the setup you have available to you. However, here's the possible scenario's from what I can assume are as follows.

If you have not already installed your new hard-drive, then you may need to perform an image backup which goes to a CD/DVD - this essentially saves an image (or snapshot) of your computer as it is right now. You may then, additionally, be required to create a rescue disc or the rescue function may automatically be built in to the image creation process, can't be 100% sure of that one so maybe need to check that out beforehand.

If, on the other hand, you are able to install the new hard drive in the machine (i.e. secondary drive, etc) then you could simply use the "clone disk" option in Reflect which would make an exact copy of your machine straight over to the new hard drive. Presumably, it's then simply a case of replacing the old HDD with the new one and voila !!.

I thinkn our man Jimbo is more experienced with Reflect than myself, so he may be able to elaborate further or confirm the scenario above :)

For now, here's a few video's which may help .....

Creating an Image using Macrium Reflect

Cloning a disk (i.e. two drives installed, copying one directly to the other)

You can support FreewareBB and have adverts removed from your view by becoming a Verified Member!!

Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Forums
New Freeware on the site
Updated Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

Guest_James (Jim) Hillier_*

Guest_James (Jim) Hillier_*
  • Guests
Hey Bob - Macrium should ask you to create a bootable disc at first run. However, it you miss that step the option is always available under the menu item 'Other Tasks':
MRF.png

Image versus Clone: An image is a permanent copy of used sectors only, compressed and saved to external media (external USB drive is best). Cloning copies one drive directly to another including all space, used and unused - there is no external permanent copy created.

Cloning is quicker and less complicated but also slightly riskier. If the cloning process fails, possibly due to faulty hard drive, you can end up with corrupted systems on both drives and nothing working or bootable. If you choose to use the cloning method, I would suggest also creating a full system image beforehand so you have a permanent backup copy of your original system to fall back on.

NOTE: Make sure you 'Verify' the image after saving.

do I just put the image on the new drive and replace my existing hard drive with the new one? or is there more to it than that?

That's pretty much all there is to it. Best method is to have both drives connected internally, format the new drive and allocate a drive letter. You can then restore an image or clone to the second drive from within Windows. Then simply remove the original drive and replace it with the new one.

If I turn everything off for 5 minutes, it will then boot normally

Hmm, I think we should check the RAM. Download Memtest86 HERE. Burn the ISO to CD and boot from that. Memtest will start immediately, let it run for around 30 minutes and see if it reports any errors.

If that is too complicated, try this: remove the RAM strips and clean the gold connecting strips with white spirit (metho will do nicely). If you have a can of compressed air handy you can also use that to clean out the female RAM connections on the motherboard. Reconnect the RAM strips and see if that makes any difference.

One more question:is the computer fitted with a dedicated graphic card or is it using onboard graphics?

Cheers...Jim

Bob

Bob

Advanced Member!

• Verified Member
  • 45 posts
It took me last night and most of today, but I created a bootable rescue disk using the Windows PE system. I saved the hard drive (C,D) image to my USB hard drive and verified it. Then I booted the rescue disk and made sure that I could access the USB drive and Macrium. So I believe that at this time I don't need to have a back-up hard drive on hand.
I had a hard time understanding the difference between a clone and a disk image until Jim explained it. Marko your videos helped immensely, as I was stuck with which way to go.

The RAM was also a challenge to test. It took 6 blank CDs (Nero just kept coping the .iso file to the CD without expanding it) before I downloaded CDBurnerXP and it made a bootable Memtest disk on the first try. I ran the program for the 30 minutes without any errors.

Thank you both for all you time and trouble getting me on the right path, and as an aside Jim, I was born in Roma, and spent my early childhood on a station 2 hrs down a dirt road from Surat, Qld. Bob

Bob

Bob

Advanced Member!

• Verified Member
  • 45 posts
graphics.jpg Sorry that it took so long to get back with the graphics card info, but here it is:

jjj

jjj

Gold Poster!

• Members
  • 89 posts
BOB - looking at your original post and the screenshot of your video card, it is possible that your problem is a video card issue rather than a boot up issue.
It is possible your MB has on board video and has been replaced by this video card because usually there is just a black screen when a card goes- you can check by the number on the MB - or it can be one of a number of other hardware issues as stated in earlier posts.
You can get a copy of the MB's diagnostics from the manufactures webpage and see from the beeps or number of diagnostic lights on the MB at which stage boot up fails.
This will give a starting point to determine how to solve the issue.

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,707 posts
Nice jjj,,that's food for thought Bob.

FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 998 posts

Marko...thanks a billion times over for these videos. I'll be back to take a look at these at some point.

Don't think I'm going to go for Macrium until I have some hefty HDs. Machine came with a pair of identically sized HDs, but they aren't very big (250 GB). I developed a phobia somewhere about overloading HDs and decided that 20-25% would be my target max. Already at 36% on the main HD and the backup is at 20%. Have a USB too but it's half as big. Waitin for a payday to get some TB HDs in a new machine...