Ask FreewareBB

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts

If you've ever wanted to ask us something but didn't quite know where on the site or how to ask it, well, nows your chance. This thread can be used to ask us anything, whether it's a personal question or site related question feel free to hit us with any question you like.

Obviously, the question has to be within reason and things like "what's your address" will most probably receive the reply it deserves but you guys get the idea ... fire away and you may just be surprised by some of the answers - I'm certainly expecting to be surprised by some of the questions !! :good:

Please only ask questions here which don't fit into any of the other forum categories - check all our forums here first and then decide if your question can fit in any of those. If it can't, feel free to ask it here :)
You can support FreewareBB and have adverts removed from your view by becoming a Verified Member!!

Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Forums
New Freeware on the site
Updated Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

ebony

ebony

Advanced Poster!

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Just what I needed. I have questions sometime and I think to myself, hmmm nah that is not a "techie" question, but I just want to know. So suffice it say, I like this a lot.

Question

I have a quad core processor.
Understand that quad = 4. I am picturing this as 4 sections
So if I open 1 program, does it go to first section
next program goes to second section or does it use the same section as 1st program

If I have 4 programs open, are all 4 sections being used?

Is there a way to see the processors in action, kinda the same way you can see space used on your hard drive.

So by now you are probably ROFL, :lol2: :lol2: when you get off the floor, all responses are appreciated. This is now my favorite section of the site.

Ebony

Guest_James (Jim) Hillier_*

• Guests

Hey Ebony - Nobody should ROFL. Your question is actually a very good one and your assessment of what happens is pretty close, if somewhat simplified. This sort of technology is not exactly my forte but here is my understanding in basic terms:

Quad core includes 4 independent processors. What you are describing is known as multitasking, and yes, the way you described it is pretty accurate.

If I have 4 programs open, are all 4 sections being used?

Essentially, yes.

There are other considerations however, particularly regarding single programs and running multiple tasks - known as threads.

Take a game for example, where you might have separate tasks such as sound, AI and graphics all running concurrently. In a single core system these tasks are all trying to share the same processor, but in a multi-core system they can be spread over multiple processors. HOWEVER, this is totally reliant on how the software is written in the first place. The software must be coded to tell the system to utilize multiple cores - this is known as multi-threading. If the software does not include these instructions then the workload will generally not be shared regardless of how many cores.

As I said Ebony, this is an oversimplification of what is a fairly complex process, but it should adequately explain the basics.

As for the second part of your question: No, as far as I am aware there is no way to see exactly what the processors are actually doing, and I believe it would be happening so quickly it would be nigh on impossible to see it anyway. You can view a graphical representation for each core in Task Manager under the Performance tab.

You are definitely on the right track. Hope I've helped clarify a little. :)
Cheers...Jim

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts
Jimbo, I really just could not have put this better myself mate, I really couldn't !! :good:

Ebony, I'd def say this was a techie question as well mate, but it's cool anyways :)
You can support FreewareBB and have adverts removed from your view by becoming a Verified Member!!

Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Forums
New Freeware on the site
Updated Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

Gremlinn

Gremlinn

Platinum Poster!

• Members
  • 271 posts
Excellent idea for a thread!

..i shall be bach :crazy:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

caduser

caduser

Advanced Poster!

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
If you are on Windoze 7, you can install the "CPU Usage" gadget which gives a visual indicator of how much RAM and how much of each core is being used.

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,698 posts
Hi, I'm Claw ,,my wife found some womens und,,,,,,wrong,,,eeer nevernind. I think this may be the wrong kind of question. Thank you.Lol.

• Guests
Caduser - Does your desktop CPU Meter show separate cores? Mine doesn't, just one usage meter for the lot.

ebony

ebony

Advanced Poster!

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you Thank you
Just what I wanted to know. Your explanation was on my level of understanding. I told you guys were smart. :gamer:

ebony

ebony

Advanced Poster!

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Uninstall question
I am running W7 64 logged on as administrator, or so I thought.
However sometime I when I attempt to do things like delete a file, install sw, I get "I do not have the proper "permission".
So I take ownership. Still get the same message.

So my question is what settings do I check or can I change so I do not get this message?