Photo

XP dead...long live, ReactOS?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

Gremlinn

Gremlinn

Platinum Poster!

• Members
  • 271 posts

I have heard of this OS some time back but never paid much attention to it but now with support for Xp ending, pretty much killing this long serving member of MS; i see there is another mention of this OS being pushed to the forefront.

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/02/12/reactos-the-windows-xp-alternative/?_m=3n.0038.429.sh0ao02hmf.fox

and their site:

http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

I'm not terribly knowledgeable about source codes but it does seem to be some kind of dispute. Would anyone have any insight or care to comment?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,709 posts
Heard about it a while back,,never really looked into it being alpha and all that. But it might make for good reading,,and more importantly,,,,,,a new toy to play around with,,one of those ,"hey lets see what happens if",,kind of things. You never know.
My Windows Updates are coming in now,,2 xps' only got 4 updates each,,so far. None on this one yet ,,need to go check the other.

Guest_James (Jim) Hillier_*

Guest_James (Jim) Hillier_*
  • Guests
I wouldn't be relying too much on ReactOS to fill the void. ReactOS has been in Alpha for years, development first started in 1998. So it has been sloooow progress. I first came across ReactOS about 7 years ago and used to visit the home page occasionally to see how it was going. I gave up on that some time ago after I realized it was pretty much going nowhere fast. At the current rate of progress we should see a final release around 2030. :)

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,709 posts
Jim,,2030,,,gee I'll almost be 39 by then. Lolllllllllllllllllllllllll.

Gremlinn

Gremlinn

Platinum Poster!

• Members
  • 271 posts
Let me step away from Claw a bit; before the lightning strikes :rofl:

Yeah, that's what i was thinking Jim, but i read somewhere, i lost the page now, that they were ramping up efforts to get it finished now that XP is at an end. I'll believe it when i see it..lol I have Win 7 on another pc and i've been pretty happy with that, specially after using Vista! :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,709 posts
Vista,,,let me tell you something about Vista.My almost mother-in-law runs Vista,,every so often When I go down to Louisiana,,I check and in stall any updates she needs on her pc. Auto-updates are set,,product updates are set. I update her SAS,,Mbam,,run scans,,clean junk,,defrag,,you know,, the" whole ball of wax". other than being kind of slow and stubborn (both computer and her),,when I'm there and I use it ,,I really don't have any problems with it. Now,I've had issues with other Vistas ,,,but not hers !!!! It still
and never will compare with other versions of Widows but I treat hers right and so far ,,it pays off.
Man ,,I had an old Win 98 that I kept up for my wife that was great,,not secure but great,,now it's an XP (upgraded it). Vista may be an exception to the rule about being a pain in the a**,,but if you pamper it ,,just sometimes it eases the pain it usually causes.

Gremlinn

Gremlinn

Platinum Poster!

• Members
  • 271 posts
Almost mom in law? hahaha

You may be in the small minority that i've run into that wasn't that happy with Vista! I've had it on 3 different machines and ALL of them gave me problems. Even with "pampering", which i consider basic maintenance, it remained so. I would almost compare it to Win ME, but not as bad..lol
Even so, i guess if you find something that works for you, stay with it. If it's not broke..:)
Hopefully by the time support runs out for XP, i can have a complete build of a new up to date pc so i can run my Win 7!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,709 posts
Hey Grem,don't get me wrong,,you'll never find me on the Vista bandwagon. For what the woman uses it for,,QVC,,ebay,,bills ,,e-mail,,some minor secretary work,,I make it usable,,with the least frustration possible. As for me,, "no way Jack",,not me ,,never owned one ,,never will. I refuse to spend money I "don't" have ,,on a computer that I will back over on it with my truck !!!!

Gremlinn

Gremlinn

Platinum Poster!

• Members
  • 271 posts
HAHAHA ,theeere's my bud!

The ReactOS does sound good, at least on paper. It would be nice if they correct the mistakes made with XP; recode it it and still have it run everything that the orig XP did. I have alot of programs and old games that i like to play but they run best on XP and not Win 7.

I know i can use the XP mode but right now i don't have a strong enough PC to run them both at the same time. I'll keep looking around for any new developments and keep my fingers and toes crossed! :lol2:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,709 posts

I've used Win 98,,Win 2k,Win xp,even some Win 7 , but after what life dealt me(storm),and moving to another state and starting from scratch,,I just can't and don't know when or if I will be able to afford a new system. So I try and make due. XP to me,,is just easy to use. I know when you get an upgrade it takes time but you get use to it. Also,,I just really like it. Hey,,I get to talk with my buddies here,,so it serves some good,,huh???? And just think,,"EVERYBODY" I know says I'm unsocial,, they say if you go to ask me what time it is ,,my first words or "go **** yourself!!!!
Sorry Marko,,I guess you may need to hit the edit button. It won't happen again. ;)