Photo

Optimizers and Tweaks

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,685 posts

When it comes to optimizing ,,I.'ve been through a vast array in a short time. Tweaking is something I prefer to do on my own. If I want the old computer a little bit smoother and faster, I just go to visual settings, uncheck every box but three to keep that look you like. Optimizers always want to "disable" Windows Update. Not too good. The same with the Start-up programs.That is like removing duplicate files,,,"unless" you know what you are looking at and you know what you need or not,,"leave it alone"
The registry falls under the same label !!!! Most cleaners like, Ccleaner,,Glary Utilities,and Acebyte can be ran on "Default settings". Otherslike Comodo System Cleaner,are more aggressive and should be monitored carefully. It's always better to get a little help every now and then. "Just Ask" ,,that's why "we're here" !!!!
Any input or criticism????

Guest_James (Jim) Hillier_*

Guest_James (Jim) Hillier_*
  • Guests
Not a fan of tweaking/optimization software myself Claw, but then I am in the fortunate position of having sufficient financial resources to purchase high-end spec machines in the first place. Certainly, those who are less fortunate than I, battling away with older machines running lower-end hardware, may garner some benefit.

Then, as you pointed out, there's the 'you'd better know what you're doing' element. In my experience most tweaking/optimization tools do not make any noticeable difference. The primary cause of latency or retarded system response, apart from malware or conflicts, is generally too many startup items and too many processes running in the background. A thorough clean with a reliable cleaning tool once a month plus exerting control over startup items and processes will generally maintain a fairly responsive machine.

From what you have said in the past Claw I believe you may be running XP on an older machine, you seem to have a predilection for the cleaning/optimization type freeware - perfectly understandable mate. I've just completed testing three such tools SlimCleaner, Toolwiz Care and Wise Disk Cleaner. SlimCleaner is brilliant, outstanding cleaning ability (heaps better than CCleaner's) plus lots of help and advice for novices. Toolwiz Care is also excellent, although more of an all-rounder; good cleaning (also better than CCleaner's although not as good as SlimCleaner's), extensive tweaking/optimization options and plenty of excellent tools. For anyone struggling with an older machine I would definitely highly recommend both those products. No reason why both can't be installed side by side, they take up very little space on the hard drive and are the same but different, if you know what I mean.

Wise Disk Cleaner I would not recommend. It is on a par with CCleaner for cleaning capabilities but includes several annoyances, zero registry cleaner, zero tweaking/optimization and zero tools. A basic and very disappointing piece of software.

Cheers mate...Jim

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,685 posts
"Those who are less fortunate",,,ME,ME,ME,ME !!!! Buuuut,anyway Jim ,,you're right,, a couple older computers ,2 that shouldn't be alive..lol. Right now I'm on a friends hp laptop,,xp sp3,only 382mbs. or RAM. But that's all he has,,so I repaired it basicaly on Freeware
and a little know how (very little). I like to compare one software to another,and cleaners are like a dime a dozen out there. I used Wise Disk Cleaner already and it did a good job,, I thought,, until it was compared to another I tried after. I really like Glary Utilities too. I have a question. What is the easiest and safest way to tell and stop Processes from running in the background????
Thanks for the SlimCleaner advice ,,that's going on next. :good:

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts
Personally I'm with you Jimbo, it's easy to abuse a machine with loading a variety of software on it and then expecting an optimiser to pick up the pieces - chances are, it won't - or at least it most probably wont sort out your issue without the user specifically targeting the problem area. I normally run a series of scans on a computer which has slowed considerably, often looking for the malware or viruses - if it's clean I'll remove what programs are not needed and then usually run a full registry scan using something like Argente and then a disk defrag as these are area's which are often neglected by many computer users, yet can have an incredible impact on the machines performance :)
You can support FreewareBB and have adverts removed from your view by becoming a Verified Member!!

Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Forums
New Freeware on the site
Updated Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,685 posts
It's like I said Marko,,I've been through alot of cleaner/optimizers in my time. Of course I never had but one at a time installed,,and usually it was to remove "junk" off an old machine I was working on for someone. I would give them the option to leave it installed or not !!!! When it comes to "optimizing" as I said,,I prefer to jiggle around with the settings myself. There is no all-in-one optimizing step to cure all. A check here ,uncheck there ,,and I know how to get results. The 2 things I have never touched is "duplicate files",,too risky. If they're not hurting anything,,leave them alone !!!! The other is the"Processes",,IM NOT SURE OF HOW TO KNOW WHICH ONES ARE SAFE TO STOP.!!!! Even techs I know will say" I really don't like to mess with them. But of my 4 machines,,2-Glary Utilities, 1 with Ccleaner and 1-SlimCleaner. If you can tell me about the processes ,,,I'm all ears !!!! :scratch_one-s_head:

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts
If you're using XP claw, take a look at this article - it explains in detail which services you should be looking to disable, although as the article itself explains, you do this at your own risk !! http://www.jasonn.com/turning_off_unnecessary_services_on_windows_xp
You can support FreewareBB and have adverts removed from your view by becoming a Verified Member!!

Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Forums
New Freeware on the site
Updated Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

jjj

jjj

Gold Poster!

• Members
  • 89 posts
382 ram would be borderline for an xp on the internet , 500 ram you can put up with , 1000 is ok.
Half way through the video, Marco posted, was a reference to Search Indexer - this was a real problem
we had recently when it was started/reactivated via a Microsoft update until it was disabled. Make sure its not running!

Unless you are a gamer or need a 1200watt Power source , computers have never been cheaper.
This is a present guide for those interested (poor like me) for an ex lease system ($AUS) should be similar in your country!
!7 inch tft monitor $10 ,19 tft $20, late P4,s $10 - $20 (1gig ram 80gb/hd) Core 2 $20-$50 (2gig ram 160 gb/hd )
KB,mouse and small speakers <$5,.O/S (XP ?) + software from FBB $priceless.

Claw , these figures may be of assistance to show your friend.

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,685 posts
Thanks Marko, interesting viewing. Hey jjj, you should have been here when another dude brought me one with 60GB-HDD and 128MB RAM. When he asked if it could be fixed ,,I told him yes but it would make a faster "snack tray"!!!! I fixed it and it worked as good as possible,but sometimes the condition of the machines are so bad,,,I would have to have the "power to walk on water" to fix them !!!! :rofl:

Gremlinn

Gremlinn

Platinum Poster!

• Members
  • 271 posts
I tried Wise one time and i checked to see what it wanted to delete and saw parts of programs that i wanted to keep so i uninstalled that prog right away! Right now, i use Your Uninstaller and it does a decent job. I also use Jetclean and i'm pretty happy with results i get so far. It's a good deal faster than ccleaner and just as good.
As far as services, i learned of this guy years ago and he's very smart on OS service tweaking...
http://www.blackviper.com/

His site is arranged by OS, so you just go to whatever you are running and print out what you need! He has been featured on PC World and Maximum PC's sites and they recommend his settings.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,685 posts

Oh yea,,I had my dealings with "the viper",,really informative site,,pretty well detailed too.