Photo

Restoring Registry - System Will Not Boot

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

mancillaj

mancillaj

Advanced Poster!

• Members
  • 16 posts

Was wondering if someone can help me fix a big mistake I made?
I clicked on a registry backup file that did not belong to the computer the backup file was located on.
I did not follow the rule I always stress – Think before you click.
Both systems are running Windows XP Professional.

Now I am not able to start the computer, it keeps looping back to the Safe Mode screen.
I have tried selecting the different Safe Mode selections, no help. I also tried booting into the Last working configuration.

I do have a registry backup file for this system, just don't know how execute it since I am not able to boot into windows. I also have System Restore points set.

I hope that I have supplied enough information for someone to help or direct me to where I can find it.

Thanks
Steve

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts
Steve, that's a bit of a mess if I'm honest mate and something I personally wouldn't want to have on my hands !!

However, help may be at hand using this KB from Microsoft - give it a read through and hopefully you may be some way towards regaining access to your system ...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
You can support FreewareBB and have adverts removed from your view by becoming a Verified Member!!

Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Forums
New Freeware on the site
Updated Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,691 posts
That's a good call Marko, useing the recovery console to enter new registry commands is the way to repair it . The only other way to make sure it is 100% fixed is to format and reinstall the OS,,and that is really not a desired option!!!! :good:

mancillaj

mancillaj

Advanced Poster!

• Members
  • 16 posts
Thanks Marko & Claw, will be giving it a try this afternoon. :girl_angel:

FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 973 posts

Mancillaj. Hope those work for you.

Just had a similar problem, but not quite as bad. I followed the advice of an unistaller and deleted files associated with the Windows Installer. This messed up everything but the default Windows registry which is installed during installation. This is what you get without your manufacturer's drivers.

What I did was follow the choices on the XP installation disk to do a repair installation. Then I reinstalled the manufacturer graphics, sound, and chipset drivers. That should be more than enough for you to reinstall your registry I would think.

I am almost sure your manufacturer's drivers will still be there if you do choose the repair. However, I think the repair choice causes Windows to install its own hardware drivers and choose them as the defaults. I lost 2 USB ports after the repair installation I just went through. I was able to determine that the manufacturer's driver for my PC's chipset handled the USB, so I installed it, and the ports came right back.

The repair feature in the XP installation disk is underrated I think. It saves all your programs and files. No need to restore them with your backup, etc.

Good luck with whatever you choose...