Photo

Best Freeware Office Package

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Best Freeware Office Package (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Best Freeware Office Package

1. LibreOffice (9 votes [37.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

2. Lotus Symphony (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. OpenOffice.org (11 votes [45.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.83%

4. Voted SSuite Office - The Fifth Element (2 votes [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

5. Other (Please Specify) (2 votes [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

Vote

admin

admin

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,695 posts

We've taken some of the most popular freeware office packages and listed them here - these will form part of our search for the best freeware of 2011 so please do vote carefully :)

Apokalipsys

Apokalipsys

Advanced Member!

• Members
  • 48 posts
LibreOffice and OpenOffice are nearly the same. They both come from the same source code, but the first separated from OpenOffice after some conflicts; you can read a little more here. From those two, I prefer the first one. You might also want to consider Kingsoft® Office Suite Free 2012 also (more info here) [I have not fully tested that one yet...].

Actually, I do not use Freeware Office Packages (shame on me..., but I use Microsoft's Pro 2011... :scratch_one-s_head: ) But if I can not afford the $$, I go for LibreOffice.

Claw

Claw

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,727 posts
I tend to favor LibreOffice mainly on its ability import and save Microsoft Office files,its PDF creator and a database that includes everything from multible languages to 3D graphics and effects. A must have when your wife's a teacher!!!!

admin

admin

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,695 posts

You might also want to consider Kingsoft® Office Suite Free 2012 also

We did mate - http://www.freewarebb.com/topic/60776-kingsoft-office-suite-free-not-freeware/

BigB

BigB

Gold Poster!

• Members
  • 60 posts
LibreOffice ftw. Ever since they split from OOo it has got better and better. It's just a shame that every document I get sent is in docx format. I know that Libeoffice can open and view them but Office 2010 can save in ODF as well as well as the old DOC format..

Guest_James (Jim) Hillier_*

Guest_James (Jim) Hillier_*
  • Guests
@Apokslipdyd

I use Microsoft's Pro 2011

WOW. I didn't even know there was an Office 2011. I'm using Office 2010 - guess I'd better upgrade.

You might also want to consider Kingsoft® Office Suite Free 2012...[I have not fully tested that one yet]

It is not a wise idea to be recommending software which, by your own admission, you know little about. Kingsoft Office 2012 has been proven to be scamware - even if that has now changed, the original intent remains...definitely not recommended!

Apokalipsys

Apokalipsys

Advanced Member!

• Members
  • 48 posts
My bad about Office 2010, it was my typing mistake, really sorry :( ! But you are right, and I myself must also be considering an upgrade, he, he...! :blush: I guess I was tired or that my hand moved faster than my mind.

Thanks for the input on Kingsoft... :good: I was not really recommending it, but rather suggesting that you check it out. Greetings Marko!

FutureShock

FutureShock

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 1,016 posts
Open Office is the only one I have tried. I use Office 2007 for most things, but I do find times when I seem to have more options with Open Office. I do like OO...

admin

admin

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,695 posts

I was stuck on MS Office for years - it came with the job as a volume license and would install it religiously, if for nothing else but Outlook - gradually I weaned myself from Outlook with a preference to keep my mail online via hotmail. With no need for Outlook, I simply didn't install it then the next time I needed to deal with correspondence I just installed OpenOffice and have kept it ever since. Libre Office is indeed a fine equivalent, or maybe even superior, and I'll be taking a closer look at this shortly with a view to review :)