Kingsoft Office Suite Free NOT Freeware

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts

It would appear we have more innapropriate use of the word "free" and "freeware" in our midst!!.

Kingsoft very kindly offered their Office Suite "Free" 2012 as freeware, yet when we rolled our system clock forward a year, what d'ya know ...

01-10-2012 12-38-02.png

That stinks major to me, it's a blatent innapropriate use of the word "freeware" when it's quite clearly NOT the case.

When you open their office suite after 1 year you also get ...

01-10-2012 12-38-19.png

Well, let's hope others do leave some feedback and show this company up for what they are, a complete and utter scam!.
You can support FreewareBB and have adverts removed from your view by becoming a Verified Member!!

Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Forums
New Freeware on the site
Updated Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

PCRacer

PCRacer

Gold Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 99 posts
I guess it was free after all, free trialware. :sarcastic: :pardon:

Not cool, it gives us real freeware developers a bad name. :negative:
If you don't like it, don't use it or blame me for it!

Guest_James (Jim) Hillier_*

• Guests
Marko - Did you try this yourself, first hand or is this information which has been gathered from other sources?

The reason I ask; I checked this out quite thoroughly and yes, there were some reports of this happening, but there were even more reports of people checking this by turning their system clocks forward and not experiencing any such issues. At the time the software had only just been released as "freeware" and I put it down to the timing; figured some had downloaded and installed during the crossover period.

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts
Those screenshots are from my own PC Jim, I forwarded my PC clock to Oct 1st 2012 :)

The version I tried was the version on offer at the time it was claimed as freeware, in other words, the date it was added to FBB after it was brought to my attention.
You can support FreewareBB and have adverts removed from your view by becoming a Verified Member!!

Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Forums
New Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

Guest_toRi_*

Guest_toRi_*
  • Guests
They have to be kidding right? Quote from another source-this is the developer responding to someone asking the same question

We have forwarded the license problem to the related R&D department. In the future, we will launch a paid version which contains more practical features on our official website

They expect us to believe they didnt know about their own 1 year time-bomb???? :bomb:

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts
Just to be certain, I'm going to download a fresh copy of this and try again :good:

Forums
New Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts
Yep, confirmed, created a vid demonstrating it too ... (I did produce text to go with it but it would appear my editor has crapped out for some reason so it's just plain ole video I'm afraid!) - but do note at the end of the video nothing actually seems to happen when we press the "enter serial number", and note the spelling mistake in "serial nummber" - not exactly the most professional developer in the world to make such a sloppy spelling mistake!.

Forums
New Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

FreeWareFan

FreeWareFan

Platinum Poster!

• Verified Member
  • 101 posts
As I was a requester of this submission now I'm very disappointed by this situation. :)
But I think they have own distribution model as I understand - they update own trial every year.
This can be named as Partly Free. :D Kidding.

• Guests
Marko - This is indeed extremely disappointing, and maddening. If they did something like that in Australia, it would be in direct contravention of the Trade Practices Act and the resulting fines would be so heavy it would likely put them out of business...where they belong!!

Nice background for the video by the way!! :)

Cheers...Jim

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts

Little screenshot of it advertised on their website ...

17-09-2011 15-17-39.png

The theme I'm using is the Aus one Jim (I know I didn't need to tell you that though!!) - I've had it on since I found the hidden themes in the last tip I posted, brightens up my day when we live in Scotland ....

rain_buchanan_street2a.jpg

Forums
New Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here