17 replies to this topic

Charles Linskail

Charles Linskail

New Poster!

• Members
  • 3 posts

Hi Marko

Another for you TweakNow Powerpack SP1b v-3.2.2

Bundled OpenCandy with no Opt-out on the install.

Cheers.

Chuck

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts
Cheers Chuck, will check that one out just shortly :rolleyes:
You can support FreewareBB and have adverts removed from your view by becoming a Verified Member!!

Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Forums
New Freeware on the site
Updated Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts
Yep, confirmed, can't believe it but nevertheless confirmed! :rolleyes:
You can support FreewareBB and have adverts removed from your view by becoming a Verified Member!!

Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Forums
New Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

Guest_James (Jim) Hillier_*

• Guests
WOW, this one is very disappointing to hear. I've always been a great fan of the PowerPack and often recommended it.

I don't understand why a large organisation such as Tweak Now would need to use OpenCandy, let alone use it surreptitiously.

Thanks Chuck!!

ricksterto

ricksterto

New Poster!

• BANNED
  • 4 posts
I just grabbed the setup, threw it into uniextractor, removed the oc temp file and modified the ISS using innosetup and rebuilt - no opencandy left over. Almost every opencandy app can be fixed this way.

Unfortunate that we have to look now because none of these apps actually tell you that they have opencandy.

• Guests
Thanks for the heads up Rick.

Yes, we realise there are ways and means of dealing with OC Rick, but many users would not have the level of expertise required to go through the process described by your good self...and, in our opinion, they shouldn't need to anyway!! :good:

none of these apps actually tell you that they have opencandy

Yes, that's the shame of it. If the developers were open and honest about bundling OC with their software, we would deal with them more sympathetically. It's the covert nature of the bundling that we consider unacceptable.

The bundling of OC is a relatively recent development, it's expanding and we are monitoring the situation. At the moment our policy is to continue listing freeware which is overtly [openly] bundled with OC, and merely add a warning. Those that are bundled with OC covertly [secretly] will, for the time being anyway, continue to be banned. That policy is subject to review, depending on how the situation evolves.

Thanks again....Jim

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts
OpenCandy do stipulate that all participating developers are required to place a notice about the inclusion of OC in their terms, which most do, but it's more to do with the fact they do not offer the option to decline it's installation in the first place. It's more or less accepted that people will not read the terms of a software installation, rightly or wrongly, but any freeware which forces the install of a third-party, or in other words does not give you a simple method of declining it, will most probably not be supported by FreewareBB. The option to decline should be an obvious one and one which is built in to the install routine.

Forums
New Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

• Guests
Marko, you put it much more succinctly than I. :good:

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts
:good:

Forums
New Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts

Just checked this one again after our decision not to ban software which includes OpenCandy so long as they are transparent about it and it seems they no longer use OC or at least I didn't see any recommendations - nothing on their site either to say they use OC.

Can anyone possibly confirm this or have I just not seen any recommendation from OpenCandy in the installer?
Cheers
Marko

Forums
New Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users