Photo

Virgin Media Broadband Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts

OK, having only recently moved back to Virgin Media for my internet after I cancelled a few years back for poor performance, I'm now keeping a journal on their 50Mb service. After being connected a few weeks back, my internet suddenly went down and I've only just managed to get it back, apparently the modem they provided initially was the wrong type and now I have the "50Mb" modem. So, each day I'm going to perform a speedcheck on my line and post the results here.

The main reason for me doing this is because on doing a speedcheck through speedtest.net the initial results are often not that great, but a second speedcheck seems to produce significantly better results. Hmmm, wonder if they have some form of filter/trigger going on there when any of us Virgin Media customers use this service?!.

Now I know also that online speedchecks have been known to be unreliable but I would say of them all that speedtest.net is probably the most reliable of them all.

If anyone else want's to participate in posting their own results, please feel free to do so, but this is meant only for those on the 50Mb service.

I'll probably do this for a few weeks which will hopefully be time enough to gauge the results.

So, right now, it's just about 7PM GMT and here's the first speed test ...

Posted Image

+++++EDIT+++++
OK, it's now 26th November and I was preparing to end this test, but something is still giving me cause for conern in all of this. You will note from my above statement that it appeared to me that initial results for the speedtest generally came back poorer than those test's which followed. Although, for the main, there wasn't a fantastic difference in these results, in some circumstances there was. Now if we put those results which didn't show a great difference down to something like fluctuations in traffic both on the Virgin Media network and on the speedtest.net network we can easily explain that. But when we see considerable differences in the 2 speedtest's, I find it harder to explain this.

Furthermore, just 10 minutes ago I was trying to download a file of 17Mb from a huge resource in America and it was painfully slow, then I decided I would do a speed test which told me my download speed was around 15Mb - once the test completed I then stopped the download and resumed it to which it came down at a blazing speed, another speedtest and I was downloading at 45Mb!. This is obviously on the first such test I've conducted in this way, but I will be trying it again and will post the results.

++++++FINAL EDIT++++
1st Dec 09
I'm now concluding our test on our 50Mb Virgin Media line, and cannot honestly confirm my first suspicions regarding the first speed test being much slower than the second. Many factors I guess could contribute to my initial findings and recently even download test's have not proved conclusive at all therefore we have to assume that load, serving web servers and other conditions can cause a variety of symptoms that would appear to give the appearance everyone's internet can be affected at times. However, I will still be keeping an eye on our internet connection for a while and will resume testing if I feel there could be a problem, but for now it's over and out! :rofl:
You can support FreewareBB and have adverts removed from your view by becoming a Verified Member!!

Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Forums
New Freeware on the site
Updated Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts
First speedtest for today ...

Posted Image

and second speedtest ...

Posted Image

(See what I mean about the second speedtest being considerably faster than the first?!)
You can support FreewareBB and have adverts removed from your view by becoming a Verified Member!!

Please post your queries, requests and enquiries in the forums - do not PM me directly as I cannot answer everyone individually - your post stands a much better chance of receiving multiple replies from other members too on the forums.

Forums
New Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts

Posted Image

and second speedtest ...

Posted Image

Forums
New Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts

Posted Image

and second speedtest ...

Posted Image

Forums
New Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts

Posted Image

and second speedtest ...

Posted Image

Forums
New Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts

Posted Image

and second speedtest ...

Posted Image

Forums
New Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts
OK, initial results would then have me think I very much have egg on my face, and fairs fair, if I'm wrong I'll admit it, and it would appear I am wrong so far!. The speedtest's carried out over the past week or so would indicate a consistant speed, nearly to the max therefore I'll continue to monitor things and keep posting my results for another few days yet.

Posted Image

and second speedtest ...

Posted Image

Forums
New Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts
Or maybe I spoke too soon!

Posted Image

and second speedtest ...

Posted Image

Forums
New Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts

Posted Image

and second speedtest ...

Posted Image

Forums
New Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here

marko

marko

Platinum Poster!

• Root Admin
  • 12,694 posts

First speedtest for today ....

Posted Image

and second speedtest ...

Posted Image

and third speedtest ...

Posted Image

and fourth speedtest ...

Posted Image

Forums
New Freeware on the site
RSS Subscribe
Report bad freeware here